How To Clean NordicTrack Treadmill
Modified: August 18, 2023
Learn how to clean your NordicTrack treadmill and keep it in top condition. Discover the best techniques and products for maintaining all popular treadmill brands.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Runningshorts.com, at no extra cost.)
Welcome to the world of fitness and wellness! If you are the proud owner of a NordicTrack treadmill, then you already know the incredible benefits it can bring to your fitness routine. Regular maintenance and cleaning are essential to ensure the longevity and optimal performance of your treadmill.
A clean and well-maintained treadmill not only enhances your workout experience but also ensures the safety of your workouts. Over time, sweat, dirt, and dust can accumulate on the surface of the treadmill, making it less efficient and potentially causing damage to its components. Therefore, it is crucial to clean your NordicTrack treadmill regularly.
In this guide, we will take you through the step-by-step process of cleaning your NordicTrack treadmill, ensuring that it remains in top-notch condition for years to come. We will provide you with simple yet effective techniques to clean the various parts of your treadmill, from the exterior surface to the motor housing.
Before we dive into the cleaning process, let’s quickly go over a few safety precautions that you should keep in mind while cleaning your treadmill. Safety always comes first, so let’s ensure that you feel confident and secure throughout the cleaning process.
Before you start cleaning your NordicTrack treadmill, it is important to follow some safety precautions to prevent any accidents or injuries. By taking these necessary precautions, you can ensure a safe and hassle-free cleaning experience. Here are some important safety measures to keep in mind:
- Turn off and unplug the treadmill: Always make sure that the treadmill is turned off and unplugged from the power source before you begin the cleaning process. This will prevent any accidental starting of the treadmill and ensure your safety.
- Wear protective gloves and clothing: While cleaning the treadmill, it is advisable to wear protective gloves to avoid direct contact with any cleaning chemicals or dirt. Additionally, wear clothing that is comfortable and doesn’t pose any risk of getting tangled in the treadmill’s moving parts.
- Avoid using excessive water or liquid: When cleaning the treadmill, it is important to use a damp cloth or sponge rather than directly spraying water or cleaning solutions onto the treadmill. Excessive moisture can damage the electrical components and create a safety hazard.
- Do not touch the motor or electrical components: Avoid touching the motor or any electrical components while cleaning the treadmill. These parts can be sensitive and can cause injury or damage if mishandled. Stick to cleaning the external surfaces and avoid any contact with these internal components.
- Read the user manual: Familiarize yourself with the user manual provided with your NordicTrack treadmill. It contains specific instructions and safety guidelines for cleaning and maintenance, which may vary depending on the model you own.
By following these safety precautions, you can ensure a safe and efficient cleaning process for your NordicTrack treadmill. Now that we have covered the necessary safety measures, let’s move on to gathering the materials required for cleaning.
Gather the Necessary Materials
Before you start cleaning your NordicTrack treadmill, it’s important to gather all the necessary materials to ensure a thorough and effective cleaning process. Having the right tools and cleaning agents will make the task much easier and yield better results. Here are the essential materials you will need:
- Clean, lint-free cloth or sponge: Use a soft cloth or sponge that is free of lint to wipe down the surfaces of your treadmill. Avoid using abrasive materials that could scratch or damage the treadmill’s finish.
- Mild detergent or non-abrasive cleaner: Prepare a solution of mild detergent or a non-abrasive cleaner and water. This will help remove dirt and sweat stains from your treadmill. Avoid using harsh chemicals that could damage the treadmill’s surface.
- Water spray bottle: Fill a spray bottle with water to lightly dampen the cloth or sponge for cleaning. This will ensure that you have control over the amount of moisture applied to the treadmill.
- Lubricant: Depending on the model of your NordicTrack treadmill, you may need a specific type of lubricant for the treadmill belt. Check your user manual to determine the recommended lubricant and have it on hand for the maintenance process.
- Vacuum cleaner with brush attachment: The motor housing and the area under the treadmill can accumulate dirt and debris. Use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to effectively clean these areas and remove any trapped particles.
- Phillips-head screwdriver: In some cases, you may need to remove certain parts or access panels for thorough cleaning. Keep a Phillips-head screwdriver handy for any necessary disassembly and reassembly steps.
Having these materials at your disposal will make the cleaning process much more convenient and efficient. Once you have gathered all the necessary items, you are ready to move on to the next step: unplugging the treadmill.
Unplug the Treadmill
Before you begin the cleaning process, it is crucial to unplug the treadmill from the power source. This step ensures your safety and prevents any accidental activation of the treadmill while you are working on it. Follow these steps to properly unplug your NordicTrack treadmill:
- Locate the power cord: The power cord is typically located at the back of the treadmill near the base. Look for the cord that connects the treadmill to the electrical outlet or power supply.
- Switch off the treadmill: Ensure that the treadmill is turned off by pressing the power button or flipping the switch to the ‘off’ position.
- Unplug the power cord: Firmly grasp the plug and gently pull it out from the electrical outlet or power supply. Make sure to grip the plug itself and not the cord to avoid damaging the cord or the plug.
Once the treadmill is unplugged, you can proceed with the cleaning process without the risk of electrical shock or accidental activation of the machine. Remember to keep the power cord in a safe place until you have completed the cleaning and are ready to plug the treadmill back in.
Now that the treadmill is safely unplugged, we can move on to cleaning the different parts of the treadmill, starting with the exterior surface.
Clean the Exterior Surface
The exterior surface of your NordicTrack treadmill is prone to accumulating dirt, sweat, and dust over time. Cleaning the exterior not only improves the aesthetics of the machine but also ensures its longevity. Follow these steps to effectively clean the exterior surface:
- Prepare a cleaning solution: Fill a spray bottle with water and add a small amount of mild detergent or non-abrasive cleaner. Shake the bottle gently to mix the solution.
- Spray the cleaning solution: Lightly spray the cleaning solution onto a clean, lint-free cloth or sponge. Be careful not to saturate the cloth or sponge with too much liquid.
- Wipe down the surface: Starting from the top, gently wipe down the exterior surface of the treadmill. Pay attention to the handles, control panel, and any other areas that come into contact with your hands during workouts.
- Remove stubborn stains: For stubborn stains or areas with built-up grime, apply a bit of extra pressure with the cloth or sponge. You can also use a soft-bristled brush to scrub the surface gently.
- Dry the surface: After cleaning, use a dry cloth to wipe down the surface and remove any excess moisture. Make sure the surface is completely dry before moving on to the next cleaning step.
Regularly cleaning the exterior surface of your NordicTrack treadmill not only keeps it looking its best but also helps prevent any corrosion or damage caused by built-up dirt over time. With the exterior surface sparkling clean, let’s move on to cleaning the display console of the treadmill.
Clean the Display Console
The display console of your NordicTrack treadmill is the control center that provides important fitness information and allows you to navigate through various workout programs. Keeping the display console clean not only improves visibility but also ensures accurate readings and smooth operation. Here’s how you can effectively clean the display console:
- Turn off the treadmill: Before cleaning the display console, make sure the treadmill is turned off and unplugged to avoid any accidental inputs or damage to the console.
- Prepare a cleaning solution: Mix a small amount of mild detergent or non-abrasive cleaner with water in a spray bottle. Alternatively, you can use pre-moistened electronic cleaning wipes.
- Apply the cleaning solution: Spray the cleaning solution onto a soft cloth or use an electronic cleaning wipe. Make sure the cloth or wipe is only slightly damp and not dripping wet.
- Gently wipe the display screen: Use the cloth or wipe to gently clean the display screen in a circular motion. Be careful not to press too hard or scrub aggressively, as this may damage the sensitive screen.
- Pay attention to the buttons and controls: Clean the buttons and controls on the display console using the same damp cloth or wipe. Be thorough in cleaning around the edges and in between the buttons.
- Dry the display console: After cleaning, use a dry cloth to wipe off any excess moisture from the display console. Make sure it is completely dry before turning on the treadmill again.
Regularly cleaning the display console helps maintain its functionality and clarity, ensuring a seamless workout experience. Now that the display console is clean, let’s move on to cleaning the handrails of your NordicTrack treadmill.
Clean the Handrails
The handrails of your NordicTrack treadmill are a crucial component that provides stability and support during your workouts. Over time, sweat, dirt, and oils can accumulate on the handrails, making them slippery and unhygienic. Cleaning the handrails regularly is important for maintaining a clean and safe workout environment. Follow these steps to effectively clean the handrails:
- Prepare a cleaning solution: Fill a spray bottle with water and add a small amount of mild detergent or non-abrasive cleaner. Shake the bottle gently to mix the solution.
- Spray the cleaning solution: Lightly spray the cleaning solution onto a clean, lint-free cloth or sponge. Ensure that the cloth or sponge is only damp and not soaked with the solution.
- Wipe the handrails: Starting from one end of the handrail, gently wipe the surface with the damp cloth or sponge. Work your way along the entire length of the handrail, paying extra attention to any areas with visible dirt or grime.
- Remove stubborn stains: For stubborn stains or built-up residue, you can use a soft-bristled brush dipped in the cleaning solution to scrub the surface gently. Avoid using harsh scrubbers or abrasive materials that could damage the handrails.
- Wipe dry: After cleaning, use a dry cloth to wipe down the handrails and remove any excess moisture. This will prevent any slipping hazards and keep the handrails in optimal condition.
Regularly cleaning the handrails of your NordicTrack treadmill not only keeps them free from dirt and grime but also helps maintain a firm grip during your workouts. With the handrails now clean and fresh, let’s move on to cleaning the tread belt.
Clean the Tread Belt
The tread belt of your NordicTrack treadmill is the part that you walk or run on during your workouts. Over time, it can accumulate dirt, dust, and sweat, which can affect the performance and lifespan of the belt. Cleaning the tread belt regularly not only enhances your treadmill’s functionality but also ensures a safe and comfortable workout experience. Follow these steps to effectively clean the tread belt:
- Turn off and unplug the treadmill: Before cleaning the tread belt, make sure the treadmill is turned off and unplugged for safety purposes.
- Remove any debris: Carefully inspect the tread belt for any visible debris such as dust, hair, or small particles. Use a soft brush or cloth to gently remove any loose debris from the surface of the belt.
- Prepare a cleaning solution: In a spray bottle, mix a small amount of mild detergent or non-abrasive cleaner with water. Shake the bottle gently to ensure thorough mixing.
- Spray the cleaning solution: Lightly spray the cleaning solution onto a clean, lint-free cloth or sponge. Ensure that the cloth or sponge is only slightly damp and not soaking wet.
- Clean the tread belt: Starting from one end of the tread belt, gently wipe the surface with the damp cloth or sponge. Work your way along the entire length of the belt, applying slight pressure to remove any dirt or sweat stains.
- Dry the tread belt: After cleaning, use a dry cloth to wipe down the tread belt and remove any excess moisture. Ensure that the belt is completely dry before using the treadmill again.
Regularly cleaning the tread belt of your NordicTrack treadmill helps to maintain its smoothness, reduces friction, and extends its lifespan. With a clean tread belt, your workouts will be more enjoyable and comfortable. Now, let’s move on to the next step: lubricating the tread belt.
Lubricate the Tread Belt
Lubricating the tread belt of your NordicTrack treadmill is an essential step in its maintenance. Regular lubrication helps reduce friction between the belt and the deck, ensuring smooth movement and extending the life of both components. Follow these steps to effectively lubricate the tread belt:
- Consult the user manual: Refer to the user manual provided with your NordicTrack treadmill to determine the recommended lubricant for your specific model.
- Ensure the treadmill is turned off: Before applying any lubricant, make sure the treadmill is turned off and unplugged to prevent any accidental activation.
- Locate the adjustment bolts: Depending on the model, there may be adjustment bolts located at the rear end of the treadmill. These bolts allow you to adjust the tension of the tread belt.
- Apply the lubricant: Following the manufacturer’s instructions, apply the lubricant to the inside edges of the tread belt. Avoid applying excessive amounts of lubricant, as this can lead to issues with the belt’s performance.
- Spread the lubricant: With the treadmill still turned off, start the machine and let it run at a slow speed for a few minutes. This will help evenly distribute the lubricant across the entire tread belt.
- Check the tension: After lubricating the tread belt, ensure that the belt is properly tensioned. Consult the user manual for instructions on adjusting the tension if necessary.
Regularly lubricating the tread belt of your NordicTrack treadmill helps maintain smooth and quiet operation, reducing wear and tear on the belt and the deck. This simple step can significantly extend the lifespan of your treadmill and enhance your overall workout experience. With the tread belt properly lubricated, let’s move on to cleaning the motor housing.
Clean the Motor Housing
The motor housing of your NordicTrack treadmill is a crucial component that houses the main motor responsible for powering the machine. Over time, the motor housing can accumulate dust, dirt, and debris, which can affect the performance and efficiency of the motor. Cleaning the motor housing regularly not only enhances the lifespan of the motor but also ensures smooth and reliable operation. Follow these steps to effectively clean the motor housing:
- Turn off and unplug the treadmill: Before cleaning the motor housing, ensure that the treadmill is turned off and unplugged to prevent any potential electrical hazards.
- Locate the motor housing: The motor housing is usually located at the front or rear of the treadmill, underneath the hood or cover. Consult the user manual if you are unsure about the exact location.
- Remove the motor housing cover: Use a Phillips-head screwdriver to remove the screws securing the motor housing cover. Carefully lift off the cover to expose the motor and surrounding components.
- Remove dust and debris: Use a soft brush or cloth to gently remove any dust or debris that has accumulated on the motor and inside the housing. Be careful not to dislodge any wires or connections while cleaning.
- Vacuum the motor housing: Once you have removed loose debris, use a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to thoroughly clean the motor housing. Pay attention to hard-to-reach areas and crevices where dirt may accumulate.
- Reassemble the motor housing: After cleaning, carefully place the motor housing cover back in place and secure it with the screws using the Phillips-head screwdriver.
Regularly cleaning the motor housing of your NordicTrack treadmill improves the efficiency and longevity of the motor, ensuring its optimal performance. With a clean motor housing, your treadmill will continue to provide smooth and reliable workouts. Now, let’s move on to the next step: vacuuming the motor area.
Vacuum the Motor Area
The motor area of your NordicTrack treadmill is where the main motor is located, along with various electrical components and wiring. Over time, dust, dirt, and debris can accumulate in this area, affecting the performance and longevity of your treadmill. Vacuuming the motor area regularly helps to remove any loose particles and maintain a clean and efficient machine. Follow these steps to effectively vacuum the motor area:
- Turn off and unplug the treadmill: Before cleaning the motor area, make sure the treadmill is turned off and unplugged for safety reasons.
- Remove the motor housing cover: Using a Phillips-head screwdriver, carefully remove the screws securing the motor housing cover. Lift off the cover to expose the motor and surrounding components.
- Attach the brush attachment to your vacuum cleaner: The brush attachment is ideal for vacuuming delicate parts and capturing dust in the motor area without causing any damage.
- Begin vacuuming: Start by using the brush attachment to gently vacuum around the motor, paying special attention to areas where dust tends to accumulate, such as fan blades, cooling vents, and electrical connections.
- Vacuum the surrounding areas: Next, use the brush attachment to carefully vacuum around the motor housing, removing any loose debris or dust in the immediate vicinity.
- Reassemble the motor housing: Once you have finished vacuuming, carefully place the motor housing cover back in position and secure it by tightening the screws with the Phillips-head screwdriver.
Vacuuming the motor area of your NordicTrack treadmill is an important maintenance step that helps to keep the motor running smoothly and prolong its lifespan. By regularly removing dust and debris from the motor area, you can ensure optimal performance and efficiency. With the motor area now clean and well-maintained, let’s move on to the next step: reassembling and plugging in the treadmill.
Reassemble and Plug In the Treadmill
Once you have completed the cleaning process of your NordicTrack treadmill, it’s time to reassemble the various components and plug it back in for use. Follow these steps to safely reassemble and plug in your treadmill:
- Replace the motor housing cover: Carefully align the motor housing cover and secure it with the Phillips-head screwdriver by tightening the screws. Make sure the cover is snugly in place.
- Connect the power cord: Locate the power cord at the back of the treadmill and plug it into a grounded electrical outlet. Ensure that the plug is securely inserted into the outlet.
- Position the treadmill: Find a suitable location for your treadmill, ensuring a level surface and adequate space around it for safe and comfortable use.
- Perform a test run: Before starting your workout, turn on the treadmill and perform a quick test run at a low speed to ensure that everything is functioning properly. Pay attention to any unusual noises or issues.
- Reset any previous settings: If required, reset any workout programs, incline levels, or user preferences that may have been cleared during the cleaning process. Follow the instructions in your user manual if needed.
By properly reassembling and plugging in your NordicTrack treadmill, you can confidently resume your workouts with a clean and well-maintained machine. Regular cleaning and maintenance will help maximize the lifespan of your treadmill and ensure consistent performance over time. Now that you have completed the cleaning process and the treadmill is ready for use, get ready to enjoy a refreshing workout session!
Congratulations! You have successfully learned how to clean your NordicTrack treadmill from top to bottom. By following the step-by-step process outlined in this guide, you can ensure that your treadmill remains in optimal condition for years to come.
A clean and well-maintained treadmill not only enhances the visual appeal of your workout space but also improves the longevity and performance of the machine. Regular cleaning helps prevent the build-up of dirt, dust, and sweat, ensuring smooth and safe workouts every time.
Remember, before you start the cleaning process, always follow the necessary safety precautions to protect yourself and prevent any accidents. Unplug the treadmill, wear protective gloves, and avoid using excessive amounts of water or cleaning solutions.
Gathering the necessary materials before you begin will make the cleaning process much easier and more efficient. From clean cloths and mild detergents to lubricants and vacuum cleaners, the right tools will ensure a thorough cleaning of every part of your treadmill.
By following the specific cleaning instructions for each component – including the exterior surface, display console, handrails, tread belt, motor housing, and motor area – you can keep your NordicTrack treadmill in pristine condition, promoting its longevity and performance.
Regular maintenance, such as lubricating the tread belt and vacuuming the motor area, will ensure that your treadmill continues to operate smoothly and efficiently over time.
Now that you know how to properly clean your NordicTrack treadmill, you can enjoy a refreshing and comfortable workout experience every time. Remember to consult your user manual for any specific cleaning instructions or manufacturer recommendations for your particular model.
So go ahead, clean your treadmill regularly, and keep up with your fitness goals in a clean and healthy environment!