How To Wash Asics Running Shoes
Published: August 12, 2023
Discover the best techniques to wash your Asics running shoes and keep them looking fresh and odor-free. Stay ahead with our featured tips for maintaining your footwear.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Runningshorts.com, at no extra cost.)
Welcome to our guide on how to wash Asics running shoes! Asics is a popular brand known for producing high-quality athletic footwear, and taking care of your running shoes is essential for their longevity and performance. Over time, dirt, sweat, and other debris can accumulate on your shoes, affecting their appearance and potentially causing odors. By following the steps in this guide, you can effectively clean your Asics running shoes and keep them looking and smelling fresh.
Regularly cleaning your running shoes not only helps maintain their aesthetic appeal, but it also ensures that they continue to provide the support and cushioning you need during your workouts. Asics running shoes are designed to withstand the rigors of various terrains and weather conditions, but proper maintenance is key to extending their lifespan.
Before we dive into the cleaning process, let’s go over the materials you’ll need to wash your Asics running shoes effectively.
Before you can start cleaning your Asics running shoes, gather the following materials:
- Mild detergent or shoe cleaner:
- Soft-bristle brush:
- Microfiber cloth or sponge:
- Old newspapers or towels:
- Sunlight or a well-ventilated area:
Choose a gentle detergent or a specialized shoe cleaner specifically designed for athletic footwear. Avoid using harsh chemicals or bleach, as they can damage the material of the shoes.
A soft-bristle brush, such as a toothbrush or a shoe brush, will help you scrub away dirt and stains without causing damage to the shoe’s surface.
Access to clean, lukewarm water is essential for the cleaning process.
Having a microfiber cloth or sponge handy will allow you to wipe and blot away excess moisture during the cleaning process.
To help with the drying process, have some old newspapers or towels available to stuff inside the shoes. This will help them retain their shape and absorb excess moisture.
Lastly, choose a location where you can air dry your shoes. Natural sunlight is ideal, as it helps eliminate any remaining bacteria and odors, but a well-ventilated area will work just as well.
Once you have gathered these materials, you are ready to begin the cleaning process. Follow the next steps to achieve clean and fresh-smelling Asics running shoes.
Step 1: Remove Dirt and Debris
Before you can start washing your Asics running shoes, it’s important to remove any loose dirt and debris that may be stuck to the surface. This will prevent further scratches and allow for a more effective cleaning process. Follow these steps to remove dirt and debris from your shoes:
- Take the shoes outside or to an area where cleaning up dirt will be easier.
- Hold the shoe upside down and gently tap the soles together to remove loose dirt and debris.
- If there are large clumps of dirt, use a soft brush or your hands to brush it off the shoes.
- For stubborn dirt or debris that can’t be removed through tapping and brushing, use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe away the residue.
By following these steps, you’ll ensure that the surface of your Asics running shoes is free from loose dirt and debris, making the cleaning process more effective. Now that your shoes are prepared, it’s time to move on to the next step: pre-treating tough stains.
Step 2: Pre-treat Tough Stains
If your Asics running shoes have any stubborn stains that aren’t easily removed with water alone, pre-treating them can help break down the stains and make them easier to clean. Here’s how you can pre-treat tough stains on your running shoes:
- Identify the specific areas on your shoes that have tough stains.
- If the stains are caused by mud or dirt, allow them to dry completely. Once dry, gently scrape off any excess dried dirt with a soft brush or your fingernail. Avoid using sharp objects that could damage the shoe’s material.
- If the stains are caused by other substances like oil, grease, or food, use a small amount of mild detergent or shoe cleaner directly on the stained area.
- Using a soft-bristle brush or a cloth, gently scrub the pre-treated area in a circular motion. Be careful not to scrub too roughly, as it could damage the fabric or finish of the shoe.
- Let the pre-treatment sit for a few minutes to allow the detergent or cleaner to penetrate the stain.
- After the pre-treatment has had time to work, rinse the area thoroughly with clean lukewarm water. Ensure all traces of the detergent or cleaner are removed.
- Inspect the pre-treated area to see if the stain has been successfully removed. If needed, repeat the pre-treatment and rinsing process until the stain is gone.
By pre-treating tough stains on your Asics running shoes, you’ll significantly improve the effectiveness of the cleaning process and increase the chances of removing those stubborn marks. Now that you’ve pre-treated the stains, it’s time to move on to the next step: hand washing the shoes.
Step 3: Hand Wash the Shoes
Now that you’ve removed loose dirt, debris, and pre-treated any tough stains, it’s time to give your Asics running shoes a thorough hand wash. Hand washing is the preferred method for cleaning running shoes, as it allows you to have better control and prevent any potential damage that may occur in a machine wash. Here’s how you can hand wash your running shoes:
- Fill a basin or sink with lukewarm water. Avoid using hot water, as it can damage the shoe’s material.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent or shoe cleaner to the water and mix it gently to create a soapy solution.
- Submerge your Asics running shoes in the soapy water, ensuring that both shoes are fully immersed.
- Using a soft-bristle brush or cloth, gently scrub the shoes in a circular motion to remove dirt and stains. Pay extra attention to areas of the shoe that are prone to accumulation of sweat and grime, such as the soles and the inside of the shoe around the toe box.
- Continue to scrub until you are satisfied with the cleanliness of the shoes. Take your time and be thorough, but avoid using excessive force that could cause damage.
- Once you’ve finished scrubbing, rinse the shoes under clean lukewarm water to remove any residual soap or cleaner.
Remember to be gentle throughout the hand washing process, as vigorous scrubbing or twisting can damage the shoe’s materials and structure. Once you’ve rinsed the shoes, move on to the next step: thorough rinsing.
Step 4: Rinse Thoroughly
After hand washing your Asics running shoes, it’s crucial to rinse them thoroughly to remove any remaining soap or cleaner residue. Thorough rinsing ensures that your shoes are clean and free from any potential irritants. Follow these steps to rinse your running shoes:
- Fill a basin or sink with clean lukewarm water.
- Submerge your shoes in the water, making sure to rinse both the interior and exterior of each shoe.
- Use your hands to gently swish the shoes around in the water. This will help dislodge any lingering soap or cleaner.
- Continue rinsing until the water runs clear, indicating that all the soap or cleaner has been thoroughly removed.
- If necessary, you can gently squeeze the shoes or press them against the edge of the sink or basin to help expel excess water. However, avoid wringing or twisting the shoes, as this could damage their shape and structure.
Proper rinsing is essential to ensure that no residue remains on your Asics running shoes. Residual soap or cleaner can attract dirt and potentially cause irritation or damage. After rinsing, it’s time to move on to the next step: air drying the shoes.
Step 5: Air Dry the Shoes
After washing and rinsing your Asics running shoes, it’s important to let them air dry properly. Air drying allows the shoes to retain their shape and prevents any potential damage that could occur from excessive heat or tumbling in a dryer. Follow these steps to ensure proper air drying of your running shoes:
- Start by gently squeezing the excess water from your shoes. Do not twist or wring them, as this can cause damage or misshaping.
- Stuff the shoes with old newspapers or towels. This will help absorb moisture and maintain their shape as they dry.
- Place the shoes in a well-ventilated area away from direct sunlight or heat sources. Excessive heat can cause the shoes to warp or materials to become brittle.
- Allow the shoes to dry naturally for at least 24 hours. Avoid rushing the process by trying to speed up drying time with a hairdryer or other artificial heat sources.
- Periodically check the shoes while they are drying to ensure they are retaining their shape and have no signs of mold or mildew growth. If any signs are present, take appropriate steps to address the issue.
It’s crucial to air dry your Asics running shoes completely before wearing them again. Putting damp shoes on can cause discomfort and potentially lead to the growth of bacteria or mold. Once your shoes are thoroughly dried, you can move on to the final step: maintaining your Asics running shoes for long-lasting performance.
Step 6: Maintain Your Asics Running Shoes
Proper maintenance is key to keeping your Asics running shoes in top condition and ensuring their long-lasting performance. By following these maintenance tips, you can extend the life of your shoes and continue to enjoy their comfort and support:
- Clean your shoes regularly:
- Store your shoes properly:
- Rotate your shoes:
- Replace worn-out shoes:
- Avoid machine washing and excessive heat:
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions:
Make it a habit to clean your running shoes after each use, especially if you’ve been running in muddy or dusty conditions. Removing dirt and debris promptly will prevent buildup and potential damage to the material.
When you’re not using your Asics running shoes, store them in a cool, dry place. Avoid leaving them in direct sunlight or in hot, humid environments, as this can cause the materials to degrade.
Consider having a backup pair of running shoes and rotate between them. This allows each pair to have ample time to air out and recover from the impact of running, leading to increased durability.
Pay attention to the condition of your running shoes. If you notice significant wear and tear, loss of cushioning, or decreased support, it may be time to replace them. Continuing to run in worn-out shoes can lead to discomfort and potential injuries.
While hand washing is recommended, avoid putting your Asics running shoes in a washing machine or using excessive heat to dry them. These methods can cause damage to the shoes’ structure and materials.
Always refer to the specific care instructions provided by Asics for your running shoes. They may have specific recommendations or prohibitions when it comes to cleaning or maintaining their products.
By following these maintenance practices, you can ensure that your Asics running shoes remain in excellent condition, providing the comfort and support you need for your runs. Take care of your shoes, and they will take care of you.
Congratulations! You have successfully learned how to wash and maintain your Asics running shoes. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can keep your shoes clean, fresh, and in optimal condition. Regular cleaning not only improves the appearance of your shoes but also ensures their longevity and performance.
Remember to start by removing loose dirt and debris, pre-treat any tough stains, and then hand wash your shoes using a mild detergent or shoe cleaner. Rinse them thoroughly to remove any residual soap or cleaner, and allow them to air dry completely. Finally, maintain your Asics running shoes by cleaning them regularly, storing them properly, and following the manufacturer’s instructions.
By giving your Asics running shoes the care they deserve, you can continue to enjoy their support, cushioning, and performance on your runs. Proper maintenance will extend their lifespan, saving you money in the long run and allowing you to get the most out of your investment.
So go ahead, put your newfound knowledge into practice, and let your clean and fresh-smelling Asics running shoes accompany you on many more successful runs. Enjoy the comfort, performance, and confidence they provide with each stride!