Where Can I Buy Barefoot Running Shoes
Modified: August 22, 2023
Discover the best places to buy barefoot running shoes with our comprehensive product reviews. Find the perfect pair for your next adventure.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Runningshorts.com, at no extra cost.)
Are you a passionate runner looking to elevate your running experience? Have you ever considered trying barefoot running shoes? These revolutionary footwear options have gained popularity in recent years, offering numerous benefits to runners of all levels. In this article, we will explore where you can buy barefoot running shoes and provide valuable insights to help you make an informed purchase.
Barefoot running shoes are designed to mimic the feeling of running barefoot while providing protection and support. They are characterized by their minimalist design, which allows for a more natural stride and foot movement. Unlike traditional running shoes, barefoot running shoes promote proper alignment and encourage a midfoot or forefoot strike, reducing the impact on joints and muscles. Additionally, they help strengthen the muscles in your feet and lower legs, improving stability and balance.
When purchasing barefoot running shoes, there are several factors to consider. First and foremost, it is crucial to find a pair that fits properly. Since barefoot running shoes typically have a snug fit, it is advisable to try them on before making a purchase. Additionally, consider the terrain you will be running on. Different models offer varying levels of traction and durability, so choose a shoe that suits your running environment. Furthermore, take into account your running style and any specific features you may require, such as arch support or cushioning.
There are various options available for purchasing barefoot running shoes, both in physical stores and online retailers. Physical stores offer the advantage of allowing you to try on the shoes and get a feel for them before buying. Sporting goods stores, specialty running stores, and outdoor retailers often carry a selection of barefoot running shoes. Be sure to check with local stores in your area to see if they stock the brands and models you are interested in.
If you prefer the convenience of online shopping or do not have access to physical stores that carry barefoot running shoes, there are numerous online retailers that offer a wide variety of options. Websites such as Amazon, REI, and Zappos are popular choices for purchasing running shoes online. They often provide detailed product descriptions, customer reviews, and sizing guides to help you make an informed decision.
Benefits of Barefoot Running Shoes
Barefoot running shoes offer a range of benefits that can enhance your running experience and improve your overall foot health. Here are some key advantages of incorporating barefoot running shoes into your training:
1. Natural Foot Movement: The minimalist design of barefoot running shoes allows your feet to move and flex naturally. This promotes a more efficient and biomechanically correct stride, reducing the risk of injury and improving running performance.
2. Strengthening Foot Muscles: Traditional running shoes often provide excessive cushioning and support, which can lead to weakened foot muscles. Barefoot running shoes encourage the muscles in your feet and lower legs to work harder, strengthening them over time.
3. Improved Balance and Stability: By allowing your feet to engage with the ground more directly, barefoot running shoes help improve your balance and stability. This is especially beneficial for trail runners who encounter uneven terrain.
4. Injury Prevention: Barefoot running shoes promote a midfoot or forefoot strike, which can reduce the impact on your joints and muscles. This can decrease the risk of common running injuries such as shin splints, knee pain, and plantar fasciitis.
5. Enhanced Proprioception: Proprioception is your body’s ability to sense its position and movement. With barefoot running shoes, you receive more sensory feedback from the ground, improving your proprioception and allowing for better body awareness while running.
6. Lightweight and Flexible: Barefoot running shoes are typically lightweight and flexible, providing a barefoot-like feel without sacrificing protection. This allows for a more natural and unrestricted running experience.
7. Transition to Barefoot Running: If you are interested in transitioning to barefoot running, barefoot running shoes can serve as a stepping stone. They provide the necessary support and protection while gradually strengthening your feet.
Remember, while barefoot running shoes offer numerous benefits, it is essential to ease into them slowly and allow your feet to adapt to the new running style. Start with shorter runs and gradually increase your mileage to prevent overuse injuries.
Factors to Consider When Buying Barefoot Running Shoes
When purchasing barefoot running shoes, it’s important to consider several factors to ensure you find the perfect pair that meets your specific needs and preferences. Here are some key factors to keep in mind:
1. Fit and Size: Proper fit is crucial for barefoot running shoes. They should fit snugly but not be too tight. Take accurate measurements of your feet and refer to the sizing guide provided by the manufacturer to find the right size. Consider trying on different brands and models to determine the best fit for your feet.
2. Terrain and Running Environment: Consider the type of terrain you will be running on. If you primarily run on trails or uneven surfaces, look for barefoot running shoes with excellent traction and durability. For road running, you may prioritize lightweight and flexible options.
3. Running Style and Foot Type: Assess your running style. Do you have a midfoot or forefoot strike? Some barefoot running shoes are designed to accommodate different running styles. Additionally, consider your foot type, including arch height and pronation. Look for shoes that offer appropriate support or customization options if needed.
4. Cushioning and Protection: While the minimalist design of barefoot running shoes provides a more natural running experience, you may still desire some level of cushioning and protection. Choose shoes that strike a balance between minimalism and sufficient cushioning to meet your comfort preferences.
5. Flexibility and Breathability: Barefoot running shoes should be lightweight, flexible, and allow your feet to breathe. Look for shoes made from breathable materials that offer freedom of movement. This will prevent your feet from feeling weighed down and help to reduce sweating and discomfort.
6. Durability and Longevity: Assess the durability of the shoes. Consider the quality of materials used and the construction of the shoe. Look for aspects such as reinforced soles and durable uppers to ensure your barefoot running shoes can withstand frequent use.
7. User Reviews and Recommendations: Take the time to read user reviews and seek recommendations from other runners. This can provide valuable insights into the performance, comfort, and durability of specific brands and models. Pay attention to any comments related to sizing and fit, as individual experiences may vary.
Remember, everyone’s feet are unique, and what works for one person may not work for another. It is essential to prioritize your personal preferences and comfort when choosing barefoot running shoes. Don’t be afraid to try on multiple pairs and seek expert advice if needed. Take the time to break in your new shoes gradually, allowing your feet to adjust to the differences in fit and running style.
Physical Stores Where You Can Buy Barefoot Running Shoes
If you prefer to try on barefoot running shoes in person before making a purchase, there are several physical stores where you can find a selection of these shoes. Here are some popular options:
1. Sporting Goods Stores: Major sporting goods retailers such as Dick’s Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, and Decathlon often have a wide range of running shoes, including barefoot running shoes. These stores typically have knowledgeable staff who can assist you in finding the right fit and model for your needs.
2. Specialty Running Stores: Specialty running stores are a great place to find a variety of running shoes, including barefoot options. These stores cater specifically to runners and often have staff members who are avid runners themselves. They can provide expert advice and guidance in selecting the right barefoot running shoes based on your running style and foot type.
3. Outdoor Retailers: Outdoor retailers like REI and Cabela’s also carry a selection of barefoot running shoes. These stores cater to outdoor enthusiasts and often have a range of footwear suitable for different activities, including running. You can find both minimalist and trail-specific barefoot running shoes in these stores.
4. Local Running Stores: Check your local area for independently owned running stores. These stores are often run by passionate runners who have a deep knowledge of running shoes and can provide personalized recommendations. They may carry a curated selection of barefoot running shoes from various brands.
When visiting physical stores, it is essential to communicate your specific requirements and preferences to the store staff. This will help them guide you towards suitable options and ensure a better fit. Take the time to try on different brands and models, and don’t hesitate to ask for a test run within the store to assess comfort and performance.
Keep in mind that while physical stores offer the advantage of trying on shoes before buying, their selection may be limited compared to online retailers. Therefore, if you’re looking for a specific brand or model, it’s always a good idea to call ahead and check on availability.
Remember to bring or wear appropriate running socks when trying on barefoot running shoes, as this can affect the fit and comfort. Consider bringing any orthotics or insoles you may use during your runs to ensure compatibility with the shoes you’re trying on.
Overall, physical stores provide an opportunity to physically experience the fit and feel of barefoot running shoes, and the expertise of the store staff can be invaluable in helping you make an informed decision.
Online Retailers Where You Can Buy Barefoot Running Shoes
If you prefer the convenience of online shopping or are unable to find the barefoot running shoes you’re looking for in physical stores, there are numerous online retailers that offer a wide selection of options. Here are some popular online retailers where you can buy barefoot running shoes:
1. Amazon: As one of the largest online marketplaces, Amazon offers a vast range of barefoot running shoes from various brands. They provide detailed product descriptions, customer reviews, and ratings to help you make an informed decision. Plus, their return policy allows for easy exchanges or returns should the shoes not meet your expectations.
2. REI: The online store of REI, a well-known outdoor retailer, offers a wide selection of barefoot running shoes. They provide detailed product information, customer reviews, and expert advice to assist you in finding the right pair. REI also offers a generous return policy, allowing you to return or exchange the shoes within a reasonable time frame.
3. Zappos: Zappos is a popular online shoe retailer known for its extensive selection and excellent customer service. They offer a wide range of barefoot running shoes from various brands. Zappos provides detailed product information, size guides, and customer reviews to help you make an informed decision. They also offer free shipping and a generous 365-day return policy, allowing you to try the shoes and return or exchange them if needed.
4. Barefoot Athletics: As the name suggests, Barefoot Athletics is an online retailer specializing in barefoot running shoes and minimalist footwear. They curate a selection of high-quality barefoot running shoes from trusted brands. Barefoot Athletics provides detailed product descriptions, sizing information, and customer reviews to assist you in finding the right fit and style.
5. FiveFingers: FiveFingers is a popular brand known for their unique minimalist shoes that mimic the feeling of being barefoot. They have an official online store where you can find their full range of barefoot running shoes. The website provides detailed product specifications and customer reviews, allowing you to find the perfect pair for your running needs.
When purchasing barefoot running shoes online, it’s important to carefully review the product descriptions, sizing guides, and customer reviews. Pay attention to any specific features or technologies that may be important to you. Be mindful of the return and exchange policies of the online retailers to ensure a hassle-free buying experience.
Keep in mind that online shopping provides the convenience of browsing and purchasing from the comfort of your own home. However, you won’t have the opportunity to physically try on the shoes before buying. To mitigate this, take accurate measurements of your feet and refer to the sizing guides provided by the retailer to find the right size.
Lastly, be aware of counterfeit products when purchasing from online marketplaces. Stick to reputable retailers and official brand websites to ensure that you’re purchasing genuine barefoot running shoes.
Popular Brands of Barefoot Running Shoes
When it comes to barefoot running shoes, there are several popular brands that have established themselves as leaders in the industry. These brands offer a range of options designed to provide a comfortable and natural running experience. Here are some of the most well-known brands of barefoot running shoes:
1. Vibram FiveFingers: Vibram FiveFingers is often considered the pioneer of barefoot running shoes. Their unique shoe design features individual toe pockets, allowing for maximum flexibility and natural foot movement. Vibram FiveFingers offers a variety of models for different running surfaces and activities, catering to both beginners and experienced barefoot runners.
2. Merrell: Merrell is a popular outdoor footwear brand that offers a range of barefoot running shoes. Their barefoot collection includes options with minimal cushioning and a low drop, allowing for a more natural running experience. Merrell barefoot shoes are known for their durability, traction, and versatility, making them suitable for trail running as well.
3. Xero Shoes: Xero Shoes specializes in minimalist footwear, including barefoot running shoes. Their shoes are designed to provide a barefoot-like experience while still offering protection and comfort. Xero Shoes offers a variety of models with different levels of cushioning and thickness, allowing runners to find the perfect balance for their needs.
4. Altra: Altra is a brand known for their zero-drop running shoes, which promote a more natural foot strike. While not entirely barefoot shoes, Altra offers a range of models with a wide toe box, allowing for ample toe splay and natural foot movement. These characteristics make Altra shoes suitable for runners looking for a more minimalist running experience.
5. New Balance Minimus: New Balance Minimus is a line of barefoot-inspired running shoes from the well-known athletic brand. These shoes feature a low profile and a lightweight design, offering a close-to-the-ground feel. New Balance Minimus shoes come in different versions, providing options for both road and trail running.
6. Inov-8: Inov-8 is a UK-based brand that offers a range of barefoot and minimalist running shoes. Their shoes combine lightweight construction with durable materials, making them suitable for various terrains and running styles. Inov-8 offers options with different levels of cushioning and flexibility to cater to individual preferences.
Before choosing a brand of barefoot running shoes, consider your running style, terrain, and personal preferences. It’s also helpful to read reviews and seek recommendations from other runners to get insight into the performance and durability of the shoes.
Remember that finding the right pair of barefoot running shoes may require some trial and error. Each individual’s feet are unique, and what works for one person may not work for another. Take the time to try on different brands and models, and pay attention to the fit, comfort, and performance when making your decision.
Barefoot running shoes offer a unique and rewarding running experience by allowing your feet to move naturally and promoting proper alignment. Whether you prefer to shop in physical stores or online, there are various options available for purchasing barefoot running shoes.
When buying barefoot running shoes, consider factors such as fit, running style, terrain, and personal preferences. Take the time to try on different brands and models to find the perfect fit for your feet. It’s important to prioritize comfort, support, and durability to ensure an enjoyable running experience.
If you prefer to try on shoes before purchasing, physical stores such as sporting goods stores, specialty running stores, and outdoor retailers are great options. Knowledgeable staff can assist you in finding the right barefoot running shoes for your needs.
However, if convenience is your priority, online retailers like Amazon, REI, and Zappos provide a wide selection of barefoot running shoes. Take advantage of detailed product descriptions, customer reviews, and sizing guides to make an informed decision. Be sure to check return and exchange policies to ensure a hassle-free buying experience.
Popular brands of barefoot running shoes, such as Vibram FiveFingers, Merrell, Xero Shoes, Altra, New Balance Minimus, and Inov-8, offer a variety of options to cater to different preferences and running styles. Consider factors like cushioning, flexibility, and durability when choosing a brand.
In conclusion, barefoot running shoes can enhance your running experience by promoting natural foot movement, improving balance, and reducing the risk of injuries. Whether you choose to purchase in physical stores or online, remember to prioritize comfort, fit, and the specific needs of your running style.
Begin your barefoot running journey and discover the joy of running in a more natural and connected way with the right pair of barefoot running shoes.