Design: Best Running Shorts
Discovering Your Perfect Fit: What Shorts Size Am I?
Modified: August 8, 2023
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Runningshorts.com, at no extra cost.)
If you’ve ever asked yourself, “What shorts size am I?” you’re not alone. Shorts sizes can be as diverse as the brands that manufacture them, making it tricky to find your perfect fit. This article provides a comprehensive guide on determining your running shorts size, why size matters for performance, and tips on ensuring an optimal fit. Let’s get started.
Unraveling The Mystery of Shorts Sizes
There are two primary ways that shorts are sized:
- Numeric Sizing: This system uses actual measurements of the waist in inches. A size 30, for example, should fit someone with a 30-inch waist.
- Alphabetic Sizing: This system uses general sizes labeled as Small (S), Medium (M), Large (L), and Extra Large (XL). Each size range encompasses a variety of waist measurements. The challenge here is that these measurements can differ from brand to brand.
How to Measure Your Waist for Shorts
Knowing your waist measurement is crucial in determining your shorts size. Here’s how to measure:
- Stand up straight and exhale naturally.
- Wrap a measuring tape around your waist, just above your hip bones. This is typically the narrowest part of your waist.
- Ensure the tape is snug but not too tight and that it is parallel to the floor.
- Read the measurement in inches.
Remember, accuracy is vital, so it may be helpful to take a few measurements to ensure you’re getting a consistent number.
How to Determine Your Running Shorts Size
Now that you have your waist measurement, how do you determine your shorts size? Follow these steps:
- Refer to a Size Chart: Almost all clothing brands provide size charts. These show the waist and hip measurements that correspond to each size.
- Check the Fit Type: Running shorts can come in different fits, including standard, slim, and relaxed. Each fit type may influence the shorts’ overall dimensions.
- Read Product Reviews: If available, read through reviews from others who have already purchased the shorts. They can provide invaluable insights into the sizing and fit.
- Try Them On: If possible, trying on running shorts is the best way to find your perfect size. You’ll not only see how they fit around your waist but also how they feel when moving.
Why Size Matters for Performance
Running shorts in the right size not only feel more comfortable but also enhance your performance.
- Avoid Chafing: Shorts that are too tight or too large can cause chafing. This is not only uncomfortable but can also affect your running stride.
- Enhance Mobility: Shorts that fit just right will provide the best mobility, essential for maintaining an efficient running stride.
- Prevent Distractions: Adjusting ill-fitting shorts can be distracting and disrupt your focus while running.
Shopping Tips for Finding Your Best Shorts Size
- Know Your Measurements: This is the first step towards finding your perfect size. Remember to measure your waist accurately.
- Study the Size Chart: Size charts are your best friend when shopping for shorts online. They provide the sizing specifics you need to match with your measurements.
- Consider the Shorts’ Purpose: Running shorts are designed differently from casual shorts. They are usually cut higher for more mobility.
- Try Before Buying: If you can, always try on shorts before purchasing. Even if you’ve bought the same size from the same brand before, different styles can sometimes have slightly different fits.
In the quest to answer the question, “What shorts size am I?” remember that size labels are just a guide. The most important thing is to find running shorts that fit you comfortably and enhance your performance. Don’t be afraid to try on different sizes and brands, and always measure yourself before shopping. With these tips in hand, you’ll be well on your way to finding your perfect running shorts size.
What if I fall between two sizes on a size chart?
If you’re in between sizes, consider the fit you prefer. If you prefer looser shorts, opt for the larger size. For a tighter fit, choose the smaller size.
Do different styles of running shorts fit differently?
Yes, different styles can fit differently even from the same brand. It’s always important to refer to the specific style’s size chart if it’s available.
How often should I measure my waist for shorts size?
You should measure your waist if your weight changes significantly, or if you haven’t done so in the last 6 months.
Are women’s and men’s running shorts sized differently?
Yes, women’s and men’s sizes usually have different measurement standards. Always refer to the gender-specific size chart.
How should running shorts fit?
Running shorts should be comfortable, provide good mobility, and not chafe. They should be snug but not overly tight, with a length that you are comfortable with.