How To Use Interval Training On Map My Run
Published: September 20, 2023
Learn how to incorporate interval training into your running routine with Map My Run. Discover the best brands that offer interval training features to enhance your workouts.
(Many of the links in this article redirect to a specific reviewed product. Your purchase of these products through affiliate links helps to generate commission for Runningshorts.com, at no extra cost.)
Welcome to the world of interval training, where runners can take their performance to the next level. If you’re looking to improve your speed, endurance, and overall fitness, interval training is the way to go. And with the help of the popular running app, Map My Run, you can easily incorporate this highly effective training technique into your routine.
Interval training involves alternating between periods of intense effort and active recovery. This method of training helps to maximize calorie burn, increase cardiovascular fitness, and enhance your running performance. By pushing your body to its limits during the intense intervals and then allowing it to recover during the active rest periods, you’ll experience significant improvements in your running abilities.
Map My Run is a comprehensive running app that provides runners with valuable tools to track their workouts, set goals, analyze data, and connect with a supportive community of like-minded individuals. The app offers a variety of features, including the ability to create custom interval workouts tailored to your specific fitness level and goals.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of interval training, delve into the various features and functions of the Map My Run app, and provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to set up and customize interval workouts. So, lace up your running shoes and get ready to take your running game to new heights with the power of interval training and Map My Run!
What is Interval Training?
Interval training is a training method that involves alternating between periods of high-intensity exercise and periods of rest or low-intensity exercise. It is a powerful and efficient way to improve cardiovascular fitness, endurance, speed, and overall performance. Unlike steady-state cardio exercises, where you maintain a consistent intensity throughout the session, interval training pushes your body to its limits by incorporating short bursts of intense effort followed by recovery periods.
The concept behind interval training is to challenge your body by working at a higher intensity for short bursts, which helps to stimulate physiological adaptations that lead to improved performance. The intense intervals push your cardiovascular system and muscles to adapt and become more efficient, while the rest periods allow for recovery and the removal of metabolic waste products.
There are various ways to structure interval training, including time-based intervals or distance-based intervals. In time-based intervals, you perform intense exercise for a set amount of time and then rest for a set amount of time. For example, you may sprint for 30 seconds and then walk or jog for 60 seconds before repeating the cycle. Distance-based intervals involve running or exercising at a high intensity for a certain distance and then taking a predefined rest period before repeating the cycle.
The beauty of interval training is that it can be customized to suit your fitness level and goals. Beginners may start with shorter intervals and longer rest periods, gradually increasing the intensity and duration of the intervals as they progress. Advanced athletes may incorporate longer and more challenging intervals to further push their limits.
Interval training offers numerous benefits, such as increased calorie burn, improved aerobic and anaerobic fitness, enhanced endurance, speed, and power, and reduced risk of overuse injuries. It is a versatile and time-efficient training method that can be incorporated into various types of exercises, including running, cycling, swimming, and strength training.
Now that you understand the basics of interval training, let’s dive deeper into the specific benefits it offers and how you can leverage the Map My Run app to incorporate interval training into your running regimen.
Benefits of Interval Training
Interval training provides a myriad of benefits that can take your fitness and performance to new heights. Whether you’re a beginner just starting out on your fitness journey or an experienced athlete looking to break through a performance plateau, incorporating interval training into your routine can yield significant results. Here are some key benefits of interval training:
- Improved Cardiovascular Fitness: Interval training challenges your cardiovascular system by pushing it to work harder during the intense intervals. This helps to increase your cardiovascular capacity, improving your heart rate, lung function, and overall endurance.
- Increased Calorie Burn: The high-intensity intervals in interval training result in a greater calorie burn compared to steady-state cardio exercises. This is because your body continues to burn calories even after your workout is over, thanks to the “afterburn effect” or excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC).
- Enhanced Speed and Endurance: By pushing your body to its limits during the intense intervals and allowing it to recover during the rest periods, interval training helps improve both your speed and endurance. This translates to faster race times and increased overall performance.
- Increased Fat Loss: Due to the higher intensity and increased calorie burn, interval training is an effective method for fat loss. It not only helps to shed excess pounds but also promotes muscle growth and definition.
- Variety and Time Efficiency: One of the great things about interval training is that it offers a wide range of exercises and can be customized to fit into any schedule. You can mix and match different exercises, intensities, and durations to keep your workouts interesting and prevent boredom.
- Improved Mental Focus and Motivation: Interval training requires you to maintain high levels of focus and push through challenging periods. This not only enhances your mental resilience but also keeps your workouts engaging and exciting, making it easier to stay motivated and committed to your fitness goals.
- Reduced Risk of Overuse Injuries: Since interval training alternates between intense and recovery periods, it helps reduce the risk of overuse injuries that can occur with repetitive movements. The varying intensities give your muscles and joints adequate time to recover and adapt.
These are just a few of the many benefits that interval training can provide. Now that you’re aware of the advantages, let’s explore how you can leverage the Map My Run app to incorporate interval training into your running workouts.
Getting Started with Map My Run
Before you start using Map My Run for interval training, you’ll need to download the app and create an account. The app is available for both iOS and Android devices and can be downloaded from the respective app stores. Once you have the app installed, follow these steps to get started:
- Create an Account: Launch the Map My Run app and sign up for a new account. You can either create an account using your email address or connect with your existing Facebook or Google account.
- Set Up Your Profile: After creating an account, you’ll need to set up your profile. Here, you can enter your personal details, such as your age, gender, weight, and fitness goals. Providing accurate information will help the app better tailor your training recommendations and track your progress accurately.
- Enable Location Services: To accurately track your runs and provide relevant data, Map My Run requires access to your device’s location services. Make sure you grant the necessary permissions when prompted.
- Pair with Wearable Devices (Optional): If you have a wearable device, such as a fitness tracker or smartwatch, you can connect it to the app to sync your workout data seamlessly. This allows for more accurate tracking and analysis of your interval training sessions.
- Explore the App: Familiarize yourself with the various features and functions of the app. Map My Run offers a comprehensive set of tools, including GPS tracking, route mapping, workout logging, goal setting, challenges, and community engagement. Take some time to explore these features to maximize your interval training experience.
By following these steps, you’ll be ready to take full advantage of Map My Run for your interval training sessions. In the next section, we’ll dive into the specifics of setting up interval workouts on the app and customizing them to suit your fitness level and goals.
Setting Up Interval Training on Map My Run
Now that you have familiarized yourself with the Map My Run app, it’s time to set up interval training workouts to help you achieve your fitness goals. Map My Run offers a user-friendly interface that allows you to easily create and customize your interval workouts. Follow these steps to get started:
- Open the App: Launch the Map My Run app on your device.
- Navigate to the Workouts Tab: Tap on the “Workouts” tab at the bottom of the screen. This is where you can create and manage your interval workouts.
- Select Interval Training: On the Workouts screen, tap on “Interval” under the “Workout Types” section. This will take you to the interval training setup screen.
- Choose a Workout Template: Map My Run provides several pre-designed workout templates to choose from, such as “Interval Shred” or “Tabata Treadmill.” Select the template that aligns with your goals or preferences. Alternatively, you can create a custom workout from scratch.
- Customize Interval Duration and Intensity: Once you’ve selected a workout template or opted for a custom workout, you can adjust the duration and intensity of the intervals. Map My Run allows you to set the time or distance for both the work and rest intervals. You can also choose the intensity level, such as easy, moderate, or hard.
- Add Warm-up and Cool-down Periods: It’s essential to include a warm-up and cool-down period to prepare your body for the workout and aid in recovery. Map My Run lets you set a specific time or distance for the warm-up and cool-down phases.
- Name and Save Your Workout: Once you’ve customized the interval duration, intensity, and warm-up/cool-down periods, give your workout a unique name and tap on the “Save” or “Finish” button to save it to your profile.
By following these steps, you can easily set up interval training workouts on the Map My Run app. The next section will discuss how you can further customize and personalize your interval training sessions using Map My Run.
Creating Interval Workouts
Creating custom interval workouts on Map My Run allows you to tailor your training to your specific needs, whether you’re focusing on speed, endurance, or a combination of both. The app provides flexibility and a range of options to choose from. Here’s how you can create your own interval workouts with Map My Run:
- Open the App: Launch Map My Run on your device and navigate to the Workouts tab.
- Select Interval: Tap on “Interval” under the “Workout Types” section.
- Create Custom Workout: On the Interval Training setup screen, tap on “Create Custom” to start building your own interval workout.
- Set Work and Rest Intervals: Set the duration or distance for both the work and rest intervals. You can choose to include different types of exercises, such as running, walking, or specific exercises.
- Add Warm-up and Cool-down: Include a warm-up and cool-down period to prepare your body for the workout and help it recover. Set a specific duration or distance for each phase.
- Adjust Intensity: Map My Run allows you to customize the intensity level for each interval. You can choose from easy, moderate, or hard, depending on your fitness level and goals.
- Add Additional Intervals: If you want to include more intervals or exercises, you can tap on the “Add Interval” button and repeat the process for each additional interval.
- Name and Save Your Workout: Give your custom interval workout a unique name that reflects its purpose or focus. Tap on the “Save” or “Finish” button to save it to your profile.
With Map My Run’s intuitive interface and customization options, you can easily create interval workouts that align with your fitness goals and preferences. The app empowers you to make every workout session unique and challenging.
Now that you’ve created your interval workout, let’s dive into the options available for customizing the duration and intensity of the intervals.
Customizing Interval Duration and Intensity
One of the key benefits of interval training is its ability to be customized to your specific needs and fitness level. Map My Run offers various options for customizing the duration and intensity of your intervals, allowing you to create a workout that suits your goals. Here’s how you can customize interval duration and intensity on Map My Run:
- Select Your Workout: Open the Map My Run app and navigate to the Workouts tab. Choose the interval workout you want to customize or create a new one.
- Adjust Interval Duration: Once you’ve selected your workout, you can adjust the duration of both the work and rest intervals. You can set the intervals in terms of time (e.g., minutes and seconds) or distance (e.g., meters or miles) depending on your preference. For example, you can set a 1-minute work interval followed by a 30-second rest interval.
- Modify Intensity: Map My Run allows you to customize the intensity of each interval. You can choose between easy, moderate, and hard intensity levels. Adjusting the intensity levels allows you to challenge yourself and progress over time. For example, you can start with an easy intensity level and gradually increase it as your fitness improves.
- Include Multiple Intervals: If you want to create a workout with multiple intervals, you can add additional intervals to your workout. This allows for more variety and targeted training. You can customize each interval’s duration and intensity individually.
- Warm-up and Cool-down Periods: Don’t forget to include warm-up and cool-down periods in your interval workout. You can customize the duration or distance for each phase and ensure that your body is properly prepared before the intense intervals and adequately cooled down afterward.
- Save Your Customization: After you have customized your interval workout to your satisfaction, give it a unique name and save it to your profile. This allows you to easily access and track your customized interval training sessions.
By customizing the duration and intensity of your intervals, you can create workouts that match your fitness level, goals, and preferences. Take advantage of Map My Run’s customization options to maximize the effectiveness of your interval training sessions.
Now that you have set up and customized your interval training on Map My Run, let’s explore how you can track and analyze your interval workouts to monitor your progress.
Tracking and Analyzing Interval Workouts
Tracking and analyzing your interval workouts is essential for monitoring your progress and making adjustments to your training. With Map My Run, you can easily keep track of your interval sessions and gain valuable insights into your performance. Here’s how you can track and analyze your interval workouts on the app:
- Select Your Interval Workout: Open the Map My Run app and navigate to the Workouts tab. Choose the interval workout you want to track or select the option to create a new interval workout.
- Start Your Workout: When you’re ready to begin your interval session, tap on the “Start Workout” button. The app will start tracking your time, distance, and other relevant data.
- In-Workout Audio Alerts: As you progress through your interval training, Map My Run provides audio alerts to inform you about interval changes, distances covered, and other important updates. This helps you stay focused and on track during your workout.
- Live Tracking and GPS Mapping: Map My Run uses GPS technology to provide live tracking and mapping of your interval workouts. You can visually see your route and track your progress in real-time on the app’s map interface.
- Post-Workout Analysis: Once you’ve completed your interval workout, the app will save the data and provide a summary of your workout. You can review details such as total time, distance covered, average pace, calories burned, and cadence.
- Data Syncing: Map My Run allows you to sync your interval workout data with other fitness tracking platforms and devices, such as MyFitnessPal, Fitbit, or Apple Health. This enables you to have a comprehensive overview of your fitness journey in one place.
- Historical Progress: The app saves all your interval workout data, allowing you to track your progress over time. You can compare your current performance with previous workouts and see how you’ve improved.
- Advanced Analysis (Premium Feature): Map My Run offers a premium subscription that unlocks additional features, including advanced workout analysis. With this feature, you can delve deeper into your interval workouts, examining pace fluctuations, heart rate data, and elevation changes.
By tracking and analyzing your interval workouts on Map My Run, you can gain valuable insights into your performance, identify areas for improvement, and stay motivated on your fitness journey.
Now that you know how to track and analyze your interval workouts, let’s explore some tips for making your interval training sessions even more effective and enjoyable.
Tips for Effective Interval Training
To get the most out of your interval training sessions, it’s important to approach them with the right mindset and strategy. Here are some tips to help you maximize the effectiveness of your interval training workouts:
- Start Slow and Progress Gradually: If you’re new to interval training, begin with shorter intervals and longer rest periods. As your fitness improves, gradually increase the intensity and duration of the intervals to challenge yourself.
- Focus on Form and Technique: Proper form is crucial to prevent injuries and optimize performance. Pay attention to your running posture, stride length, and breathing technique during both the work and rest intervals.
- Listen to Your Body: It’s important to tune in to your body’s signals during interval training. Push yourself during the intense intervals, but also listen to your body and adjust the intensity or duration if needed.
- Mix Up Your Intervals: Avoid doing the same interval workout every time. Mix up the duration, intensity, and type of intervals to keep your workouts challenging and prevent boredom.
- Include Variations in Terrain: If possible, incorporate intervals on different terrains to challenge your muscles and coordination. It could be hill sprints, track intervals, or trail running intervals.
- Stay Hydrated and Fuel Properly: Hydration and proper nutrition are crucial for performance and recovery. Drink enough fluids before, during, and after your interval workouts, and fuel your body with nutrients for optimal energy levels.
- Rest and Recover: Allow for adequate rest and recovery between interval training sessions. This allows your body to adapt and become stronger. Overtraining can lead to fatigue and increased risk of injury.
- Note Your Progress: Keep a record of your interval workouts and track your progress over time. This can help you identify patterns, set new goals, and stay motivated on your fitness journey.
- Enjoy the Process: Interval training can be challenging, but it’s important to enjoy the process and celebrate your achievements along the way. Embrace the sense of accomplishment and the feeling of pushing your limits.
By following these tips, you can make your interval training sessions more effective, enjoyable, and rewarding. With dedication and consistency, you’ll notice improvements in your speed, endurance, and overall fitness.
Now that you’re armed with these tips, it’s time to lace up your running shoes, incorporate interval training into your routine, and take your running performance to new heights!
Interval training is a powerful tool that can elevate your running performance and overall fitness. With the help of the Map My Run app, incorporating interval training into your routine has never been easier. By alternating between periods of high-intensity exercise and active recovery, you can maximize calorie burn, improve cardiovascular fitness, and enhance your running abilities.
The Map My Run app offers a range of features to support your interval training journey. From creating customized interval workouts to tracking and analyzing your progress, the app provides valuable tools to help you stay motivated and achieve your goals.
Remember to start slow and gradually increase the intensity and duration of your intervals as your fitness improves. Pay attention to proper form and listen to your body to prevent injuries. Mix up your intervals and include variations in terrain to keep your workouts challenging and exciting.
Stay hydrated, properly fuel your body, and prioritize rest and recovery to optimize your performance. By noting your progress and celebrating your achievements, you’ll stay motivated on your fitness journey.
So, take the leap and embrace interval training with the Map My Run app. Make each workout count, push your limits, and watch as your speed, endurance, and overall fitness soar to new heights. Let your passion for running and the power of interval training guide you towards achieving your running goals. Get out there and start running to experience the incredible benefits that interval training can bring!